Community Portal

Go to associated page

Module - M4: Downscaling data

CityLoops
Back to topic list

Considering the formula for downscale, and one specific manufacturing sector. If we only have the employees for sectors at NACE-code level 2 (not level 4), we can use as city proxy the number of employees for this sector at city level (NACE-code level 2) and as NUT3 proxy the number of employees for this sector (NACE-code level 2)?
In this case, I'm assuming that we have the quantity at NUT level.

I'm asking this because if we'll need the number of employees (or GDP) by sectors NACE-code level 4, we won't be able to run the downscale process as proposed.

I want to say "quantity at NUT3 level" in the end of the 1st paragraph.

Yes, that is correct, you can use that. The proxies need to be on the same NACE level. Of course the more detailed, the more desirable for accuracy, but if you don't have it, there is not much else you can do.
There are also the structural business statistics that you can use too, with more detailed NACE levels in some case. However, as far as I know it only exists for NUTS 2 not 3, see dataset here.

Hello Carolin,

Does the processed files must be uploaded with the scale of the original data (e.g. National or Regional data) or it should be upload already in city scale (downscaling data) ?
Should we refer in the comments collumn the proxys used to downscale from other scales (country or NUTS 2 or 3)?

Thank you

Hi Paula,
For the processed files, please upload both files, the original data AND the downscaled one. However, you only need to process the downscaled data.
As for adding the proxy info, yes, you can add them in the comments column. I'd also ask you to add them in the uploader notes, then people can easily see what was used and the source of the proxies, without having to download the file.

Thanks!

Last edited: 2021-06-14 10:27:20.671017+00:00

Hello!
I am sorry I had misunderstood the process of processing and downscaling. I have processed data in country scope, and thought that will be also processing files in city scope after downscaling. Now the data processed in national level needs to be reset inorder to process the downscaled data in city-level. There is quite alot of it, but I think it is good that the previous files stay uploaded since they show the process and source well.

Please reset the following processed files (I hope the files do all stay uploaded though)
• Id 992636 Imports of live animals and animal products in Finland in year 2019
• Id 992216 Consumption of crop related food items per person by kg in years 2015-2019 in Finland
• ID 991240 Export of Fodder crops, garden-, and timber materials in Finland in year 2019
• Id 991222 Import of Fodder crops, garden, wood and peat materials in Finlan in year 2019
• Id 991209 Export of dairy products, eggs, honey and fish products in Finland in year 2019
• Id 991199 Import of dairy products, eggs, honey and fish products in Finland in year 2019 processed sheet
• ID 991170 Export of crops and crop products in Finland in year 2019
• Id 991150 Import of crops and crop products in Finland in year 2019
• ID 991057 Exports of animal and animal products in Finland in year 2019
• ID 990680 Consumption of fish product by weight per person in Finland in years 2015-2019
• Id 990665 Consumption of meat and meat preparations by weight per person in Finland in years 2015-2019
• Id 990646 Consumption of dairy products, eggs and honey by weight in Finland per person in years 2015-2019
• Id 990556 Cultivated berries and fruits in South-Savo region in 2014-2018
• Id 987365 Hunted game in Etelä-Savo by species in years 2015-2019
• Id 987354 Amount of cultivated vegetables in Etelä-Savo by species in years 2014-2018

Thank you for your help.

BR, Johanna

Dear Johanna,
Not to worry at all! You are getting a lot of information and instructions from us and it could well be that we didn't communicate this clearly enough.
I've reset all of your listed files. And yes, all files do stay uploaded, so nothing is lost here or overwritten.

If you process the downscaled files now and have to edit the title, I'd like to ask you to change the names of the item to e.g. "Imports of live animals and animal products in Mikkeli (from Finland data) in year 2019". This way it becomes apparent that it is data (1) on Mikkeli and (2) from downscaled data.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions or issues.
Good luck!

Great! Thank you for your help. I will change the title names as proposed. :)